February 16, 2010

One Dish Wonder...and Healthy, too!

As you will notice, this week, we are on a health kick.  How long it lasts,  who knows?  But keeping in my theme of healthiness, I decided to make a stir fry.  Truth be told, I would have liked beef but since it was ferociously snowing out and I had already risked my life to pick up my kids( I am a drama queen, you know), I decided it would be chicken, which was already in my house.  I had some broccoli, red peppers and a can of water chestnuts so I was set.  Will commented that it would have been great with some julienned carrots so I have added them to the recipe.  Nothing like improvising!  Anyway, everyone liked it  and no one even complained about all the broccoli.  :)

Chicken Stir Fry

1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
2 tblsp canola oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/2 cup julienned carrot
3/4 cup red pepper, sliced thin
1/2 cup water chestnuts
2 -3 cups broccoli(blanched)
1/4 soy sauce, low sodium
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup chicken broth or stock
1 tblsp corn starch(mixed with a little water)
1/4 chopped peanuts

Heat oil in wok or large pan.Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.   Add chicken and cook 4-5 minutes until brown.  Add carrots and peppers. and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add broccoli(it is not necessary to blanch, but i like my broccoli slightly tender).  Add soy sauce and sesame oil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring throughout.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Add corn starch mixed with water (stir until smooth before adding). Cook for 2-3 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.  Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.  Serve over noodles or rice.





1 comment:

  1. Looks good -- did you use a wok? Remember woks???? Will have to try it one night.

    ReplyDelete