February 3, 2010

Stepping Back From the Edge.....

I almost did it today.....jumped off the restaurant cliff.  From the moment I got up this morning I have been running, running, running... to appointments, kids activities, etc.  By noon I knew I was in trouble.  A pizza.... that was my solution.  Just this once, I would order a pizza tonight ... no cooking, no clean up.  So easy.  But then, I thought about having to admit this on my blog tonight. (It's a little bit like Weight Watchers a little bit like AA).  So, I took a deep breath and a step back and perused the refrigerator for something I could make ahead and have ready for when we all walked in at 6pm.  I settled on Chicken Tetrazzini.  ( I didn't have any Turkey).  And so, I've saved myself for another night.  To be honest, what really saved me was the thought that I was going to blow it on a crummy pizza.  I've decided if I am going down, I'm going in a big way;  food worth jumping off for.   (More about that this weekend. :)  I'm dreaming of a special salmon!)  As I write this, it is 630 - I am still waiting for my casserole to come out of the oven but there's no pizza box to have to slink out to the garbage with tomorrow.  No remorse :) Here's my dinner at 12 noon(before baking it!):


Chicken Tetrazzini(adapted from The New Best Recipe)

1 package whole grain spaghetti
6 tblsp butter
2 cups white mushrooms,cleaned and sliced
1 large onion
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 tblsp sherry
3/4 cup freshly ground parmesan
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 cups frozen peas
4-5 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces

breadcrumb topping:
1/2 fresh bread crumbs,
1 tblsp butter, melted
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

First, combine bread crumbs and melted butter, place on pan in 350 oven for approximately 10 mins until brown. Remove, add parmesan cheese and set aside.
Bring large pot of water to boil, add spaghetti.  When done, drain, but reserve 1/4 cup liquid.  Place spaghetti back in pot with liquid. In large skillet, melt 2 tblsp butter, add chopped onion and mushrooms.  Stir frequently until onions are translucent and liquid has evaporated from mushrooms.  (Approx 10-15mins)  Transfer to small bowl and set aside.  Melt remaining butter in clean pan until foamy. Add flour and whisk until smooth and golden brown.  Whisking constantly, add chicken broth slowly.  Increase heat to medium high until mixture thickens.  Off the heat, whisk in sherry, parmesan, nutmeg, lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp salt.  Add the sauce, mushroom/onion mixture,peas and chicken  to the cooked pasta and mix.  Pour into buttered 13x9 pan, sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bake at 400 until warm and bubbly.  Serves 8-10 (generous portions)

No comments:

Post a Comment