February 6, 2010

Popcorn anyone?

Today I am trying to get ready for Superbowl Sunday as my oldest is having some friends in for the game. Anytime there is a group of 17 year old boys, you need a lot of food!  Quantity is key.  I've learned over the years that you can never have enough.  I have a great recipe for Caramel Popcorn  and decided I would make it today(hopefully we won't have eaten it all before tomorrow).  Once you eat this, you will never want to eat the boxed or bagged caramel corn again!  It is so delicious and the sweet, buttery flavor combined with the crispy popcorn is addictive. The recipe makes a lot of popcorn, but trust me, it will be gone in a flash!  



Caramel Popcorn

2 sticks of butter
2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
10 quarts popped corn

Melt the butter, corn syrup, brown sugar and cream of tartar on low heat until mixture come to a boil(stir frequently).  Boil the mixture for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, then add baking soda.  (don't do this step while cooking)  Here's what the mixture will look like after you add the baking soda:

Pour over popcorn in 2 very large bowls.  Stir immediately to coat popcorn.   Pour coated popcorn onto 3 cookie sheets and bake in oven at 225 degrees for 60 minutes.   ( If I making this recipe for just a small group, I half it)


No comments:

Post a Comment